CDC’s NHSN provides healthcare facilities, such as long-term care facilities (LTCFs), with a secure reporting platform for reporting outcomes and process measures in a systematic way. Reported data are immediately available for use in strengthening local and national surveillance, monitoring trends in infection rates, assisting in identifying resource insecurities, and informing progress toward infection prevention goals.
The NHSN Long-term Care Facility Component supports the nation’s COVID-19 response through the LTCF COVID-19 Module. Facilities eligible to report data to NHSN’s COVID-19 Module include nursing homes/skilled nursing, long-term care for the developmentally disabled, and assisted living facilities.
Data reported into the LTCF COVID-19 Module Surveillance Reporting Pathways facilitate assessment of the impact of COVID-19 through facility reported surveillance data. Examples of data reported in the pathways include:
· Counts of residents and facility personnel newly positive for COVID-19 based on viral test results.
· COVID-19 vaccination status of residents newly positive for COVID-19.
· Re-infections in residents and facility personnel previously infected with COVID-19.
· COVID-19 related death counts among residents and facility personnel.
· Staffing shortages.
· Availability and surge capacity use of personal protective equipment (PPE) and alcohol-based hand rub.
· Monoclonal therapeutic availability and use.
· Ventilator capacity and supplies for facilities with ventilator-dependent units.
The Point-of-Care (POC) Test Reporting Tool is a separate reporting option for LTCFs to report SARS-CoV-2 test results provided by a POC device. NHSN routes reported POC laboratory test result data to the public health agency at the local or state level with jurisdictional authority and responsibility for receiving those data. Important: the reporting of POC test result data in this tool does not take the place of answering POC related questions in the Resident Impact and Facility Capacity surveillance reporting pathway.
Weekly reporting of COVID-19 vaccination data for residents and healthcare personnel is another option available to LTCFs. Additional information about surveillance and vaccination reporting, please visit the Weekly HCP & Resident COVID-19 Vaccination webpage.
LTCF data submission options include manual data entry, CSV file submission by individual facilities or bulk CSV file upload for multiple facilities, and/or NHSN DIRECT CDA Automation for the Point-of-Care (POC) Test Reporting Tool.